Thin Blue Line Decals at FireandRescueDecals.com

End of watch

Is it appropriate to say "End of Watch" for a retired police officer? My father in law who is a retired police officer passed away yesterday and some of the family were having a discussion regarding my above question and there were numerous answers. I want to find out the correct answer. Thank you very much. Stay safe!!!

Comments

• Condolences to your family for your loss.

I still say "End of Watch" when I'm talking about the end of my duty shift, which is where the term originally came from. I've had people tell me that's wrong and I shouldn't do that and I'm always like, "That's what it means!" You say EOW for a fallen officer because they've ended their service permenantly, instead of just for the shift. That said, a retired officer ended their service when they retired, so I don't know that it's all that appropriate, but on the other side of that coin, an officer is an officer forever, even after they've ended service. It's like being a soldier. I guess my opinion is, if you feel it's appropriate, that's all that matters. But in the strictest dictionary sense, EOW means an officer who has fallen while in the commission of his/her duties.