Thin Blue Line Decals at FireandRescueDecals.com

New officer needs advice

edited 8 Jul 2013 in Ask a Officer
I'm a new officer, started in December, and currently in phase 1 of FTO. I previously spent five years working in the county jail (most time spent in high-risk/assaultive inmate/booking area so know issue with putting hands on)before leaving and going to the city PD. But I'm having a problem and need some help/ideas to get past it.... I'm having a hard time going from zero to sixty at the blink of an eye. For lack of better words, I get my sh*t jumped by my FTO. Thinks do not happen fast enough on my end, to satisfy him. I know its not personal and that he wants me to be sound for when I'm watching his six. And I know what needs to be done...but I'm having a issue flipping that switch when it's time to go. Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Rome was not built in a day and your confidence level wont be either. Its something you have to work on daily and most of us still work on it... Train, train, train. Just remember you safety and the safety of you fellow LEO's is job one... Never get to a point where you over confidence put you are anyone else in harms way. Being an LEO is NOT a job, it's a life. Be safe and pray you don't get Graveyard... In a small town Graveyard may not be so bad...
  • Gut feeling. You will know when its time to go from 0-60. Train. Train. Train. Watch everything around you and your brother out there, at all times. Never let your guard down. Some very experienced convicts Were interviewed. They Were asked Why didnt they kill the cop during appréhension. Most stated, basically, the officers never gave them an opportunity. Professionalism, tactics, and awareness.stay on your toes my brother. Never get relaxed on your job.
    Look up Bardstown, Ky Police. Find info. on officer Jason Ellis. Ambushed on his way home.
  • Are you the first trainee of your FTO? If you are in step one you most likely won't have that instinct and your FTO should be trying to foster that, not "jumping your shit" about it. Of course some FTO's are better than others. Bottom line in FTO, you WILL make mistakes, many of them, just don't get into a habit of repeating them. I would say you will be fine in the end.
  • Don't worry about getting your **** jumped.
    Train, listen, pay attention, be situationally aware.
    If you do get scolded, think about the why, rather than the hurt of being scolded.
    Your FTO wants you to come home alive everyday after you are out on your own.
  • @swat_op506 . . . that's the same thing our D.I. told us, the first morning. S.A. is the ONLY thing that keeps you coming home.
    Safe Watch, all