Thin Blue Line Decals at FireandRescueDecals.com

Advice on new deputies in Florida

edited 30 Nov 2012 in Ask a Officer
I've recently graduated the academy and passed the state exam. I have had some classmates get hired so far but I am still trying to find an agency. My question is about the oral boards, what do they look for and what would cause someone who's not exactly good at selling their selves, to be over looked.

Comments

• Although, I am not an officer. I did volunter with two police departments for 17 years and loved every second of it. I have over 15,000 hours as a volunteer and ride-along time. If you don't mind I would like to give you a response.

Be positive, sincere, compassionate and understanding. If you can, get a Dale Coarnege book called the Golden Book. This will help you tremendously.
  • Confidence says it all! Not over confident but not shy either
  • Be truthful and realistic in your presentation. Be firm and to the point.

Their is a video series on YouTube if you need help. Just Google police oral board.
  • My oral board consisted all the Patrol supervisors in a class room and I sat in a chair up front. It was like running a gauntlet. They busted my chops about everything and knit-picked everything in my resume. I was able to roll with the punches and now those guys are my family. Just answer every question truthfully and be able to ARTICULATE everything. If you present yourself as one who is willing to learn, you will be good to go. Nobody likes a know-it-all rookie.
  • Direct eye contact,truthful,don't be long winded, and don't portray yourself to be something your not. Be careful with body movements.
  • I have served on many oral review boards and I always looked for someone that displayed confidence in themselves and a respectful tone towards the board.( Yes Sir or Ma'am ) Of course wearing a pressed suit and tie is a must.... Presence and appearance are first in the list of force continuum..