Thin Blue Line Decals at FireandRescueDecals.com

Ark Officers Facebook post changes struggling students life

Officer John Shipman was on his way home from an off-duty security job when he noticed a man walking on the side of the road in 19-degree weather

JONESBORO, Ark. — A chance encounter led an officer to go above and beyond the call of duty for a university student.

KAIT reports Officer John Shipman was on his way home from an off-duty security job when he noticed a man walking on the side of the road in 19-degree weather.

After Shipman offered the man, James Taylor, a ride, he discovered the second-year university student was walking to his home on campus from a job at McDonald’s. Taylor did not have a car.

"I asked him, 'So you went to work tonight knowing that you didn't have a ride home and that it was going to be freezing?' and he said 'Yes sir.'" Shipman told KAIT. "He says I have to, I don't have any other choice."

Officer Shipman posted Taylor’s story to Facebook. After many expressed desire to help, an online account was set up to raise money for a car for the student.

The account has already surpassed its goal and has currently raised $3,690 as of this posting – enough to get Taylor a car and at least 6 months of insurance, according to the report.

feel free to use the buttons below to share this story.

Comments